sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] sorcery/cast/etc as non root.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] sorcery/cast/etc as non root.
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:25:12 +0100

Am Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:23:38 -0600
schrieb Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>:

> Is there a way to configure things so that sudo is used instead of su,
> and only when really installing stuff, but not when downloading and
> verifying gpgs and checksums, and compiling?

There should be. Spool directory needs to be writable by anyone, or at
least your admin user (verification protects agains local attacks ...
if the source from spool is moved someplace secure and _then_ checked).
Build directories, too, but that is trivial. I am not aware of this
being possible right now, but non-root builds should be part of SMGL,
though I admit I always have a root shell open ... knowing that one is
supposed to do as much as normal user as possible.

Hey, here we got a feature request to change something in Source Mage,
right after dkowis' statement of stagnation! Now if only someone found
the time to implement :-/

Alrighty then,

Thomas