sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sourcemage is Done

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sourcemage is Done
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:05:54 +0100

Am Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:47:16 -0500
schrieb Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>:

> Personally, I don't care if we say we are at version 1.0 -- it's just
> a number.

+1

I must admit I really wonder what the 1.0 should stand for. It's not
the grimoire. It's not sorcery itself. Is it the install ISO? At least
there should be one when declaring a new version.

And respecting changes: Yes, there still are a lot of things not
"right" that I want to see fixed (big one about staging installs of
spells together, avoiding "real" dispel of self-conflicting spells
before cast), and I still have hope to get to them in time (after my
endless task of getting that RL think settled is done). So, please,
Source Mage, don't die on me in between!

I therefore concur with dkowis' reasoning that if people don't want
change, then there must be something that is working to some degree of
satisfaction. In fact, I contemplate moving some installs back to SMGL
now that I get sufficiently fed up with ubuntu on boxes I really use.
The only stumbling block for such is the quality of the grimoire. But
then, this really matters for the nasty intertwingled stuff (pieces of
modern software) I am getting away from ...

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: I guess i should re-submit my proposal to make TMPFS more tunable
in sorcery ... re-applied my local hack for TMPFS_FORCE recently ...
PPS: cryptsetup-luks does install static binaries that are not static.
Bummer, but I'll fix it ... I guess people won't oppose me enforcing
static build of lvm for that? Kinda vital to have these things in an
initramfs.