sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] sorcery/cast/etc as non root.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] sorcery/cast/etc as non root.
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:23:38 -0600

Hi,

When using sorcery/cast/etc... as a non root, then the tools
automatically perform "su", so that the user logs as root.

As I don't like being prompted for root password any time, I then
created entries in /etc/sudoers and call the tools with sudo instead.

Both approaches imply that it is root the one downloading the spells,
compiling the code and installing.

In reality, the only step that should require root permissions is the
install stage and placing the castfs stuff over real dirs...

Is there a way to configure things so that sudo is used instead of su,
and only when really installing stuff, but not when downloading and
verifying gpgs and checksums, and compiling?

Thanks,

--
Javier.