sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg-server 1.8.1 missing dep.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg-server 1.8.1 missing dep.
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:37:21 -0800

On Jan 12, 2012, at 4:21 AM, Ladislav Hagara wrote:

>> BTW, is there any problem with xorg-server 1.9.x? I had been using it
>> on my laptop without troubles for several months...
>

> None problems also with 1.10.x and 1.11.x.
>
> We just have to pull changes from devel-xorg-modular branch into master.
> It is sad we use devel-xorg-modular and devel-libng instead of pull
> changes into master. I know even our devel-libpng is stale. Seems still
> nobody cares. I wanted to pull several times, some gurus were against
> it. It is question for PL and GL.
>
> I know we have problem with libpthread-stubs, UP_TRIGGERS doesn't fix
> all spells, some spells have to be re-cast manually or some of us has to
> update UP_TRIGGERS. We also discussed to run manually some script to
> remove *.la files from /usr/lib. Problem is, who fix his xorg-problem
> doesn't care updating UP_TRIGGERS.
>
> When I install new box I always scribe add devel-xorg-modular and
> install really stable xorg.
>
> We stared to discuss in Dec 2010
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2010-December/020364.html

There were several solutions proposed, but none worked 100% of the time
during my testing while I had time to try and fix this.

The easiest may be Robin's post today and apply it only when updating
libpthreads-stubs from 0.2 -> 0.3:
"I know I got the devel-xorg-modular working around the libpthread-stubs
issue by deleting all the *.la files but then when I ran cleanse --fix
it recast all the spells that had installed those *.la files."

Rather than trying to find a fix for specific files affected.
I believe some of the libxcb updates caused similar issues so may need
a similar fix, without causing a massive rebuild twice, once for
libpthread-stubs and again for libxcb

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285