sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Issue tracker work-flow

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Issue tracker work-flow
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:36:31 +0200

Hi!

At this moment we don't have common work-flow of repairing bugs (at least not
that I am aware of). Some developers mark bugs as "In progress" [1] when bug
is already fixed in test. I mark it as "Resolved" when it is fixed in test
[2].
Some of bugs are even closed [3].

My suggestions are:

BUG STATUS:
* NEW: All bugs that are not fixed and nobody is working on it.
* IN PROGRESS: We should use this status if you are working on a fix but you
haven't fix it yet.
* RESOLVED: Such status should have bugs that are already fixed in test
grimoire but NOT in stable.
* CLOSED: If bug is fixed in all grimoires. (stable and test). Developer must
check if the bug affects stable grimoire before closing. Even if the bug was
reported in test grimoire.

ASSIGNEE:
I'm not really fan of this. Because it is some kind of forcing and we are
group of volunteers. But if someone breaks something I think it is reasonable
to expect that he will fix that.
But you can always assign bug to yourself if you plan to work on it :)

ROADMAP:
This is pretty cool feature. But it needs to be used properly. We now have
roadmap for stable grimoire 0.60. But stable-0.60 was already released... Not
really logical. So I think we should have roadmap for 0.60-1. But this is
just
a name and it can be easily changed.

Now what bugs should be added to roadmap:
* ALL RESOLVED bugs (based on previous definition) regardless what kind of
bug
it is [2]. Bug is a bug and if it affects stable it should be also fixed in
stable.
* NEW bugs. ONLY critical/high important bugs.

That way roadmap will only be a list of bugs for grimoire lead (or
assistants) for integrating fixes into stable. And before releasing new
stable
ALL bugs on roadmap must be CLOSED! If any bugs are not closed (new (we
hadn't have time to fix it) or resolved (if cherry-pick has conflicts...))
should be moved to next target release.

This way we will use at least some functionality that is offered by
Chiliproject roadmap.

I am open for ideas and suggestions. But issue tracker would really benefit
from more transparency and common work-flows.

Kind regards, Bor

[1] http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/272
[2] http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/277 for example.
[3] http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/43