sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell branches
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:31:14 +0200

On 19. of Sep 2011 21:43:12 Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:
> El Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:17:10 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net> escribió:
> > :2011-09-16T10:05:Bor Kraljič:
> > > Now that we have such function. I think it would be suitable that
> > > we add some kind of warning for scm branch. That it might not build
> > > etc...
> > >
> > > I mentioned this in issue #228
> > > (http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/228#note-1).
> >
> > Here is my proposal from the old dri spell and:
> >
> > This spell is a development version, bleeding edge stuff...
> > If you feel secure at casting development or SCM sources
> > then answer yes to the following question to cast the spell
> > !!!***THIS SPELL MAY DAMAGE YOUR INSTALLATION***!!!
> > We take no responsibility for any bugs with this spell other than
> > fixing the download URL if it changes.
> >
> > Then query or config_query:
> > Do you wish to cast this spell after you have been informed of the dange
> > r? defaults to n
> >
> > Also I propose this for any SCM or development branch(even if
> > snapshots).
> >
> > Regards
>
> We must set some naming conventions for branches, so that we can
> detect this by name.
Seems that you updated many of the spells naming scm branch for scm source. So
for scm branches we are already have a name. And adding warning is just the
matter of agreeing on it and adding it to FUNCTIONS.

For other versions we could set a list (from not supported to supported from
our side):
* scm
* devel (pretty much the same as scm. Can be used for beta, release candidate
etc)
* testing (upstream made a release but doesn't consider it stable yet)
* stable

That is just my idea of how branches would look like if they exist. But keep
in mind that I still think that we avoid using branches whenever possible.

Regards, Bor