sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev changes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev changes
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 22:18:28 +0900

Arjan Bouter (abouter AT sourcemage.org) wrote [11.05.29 22:08]:
> I agree that it should not be required/enforced at this point to use
> devtmpfs,
> but it is. The init.d spell fails when devtmpfs isn't in the kernelconfig
> and
> when using udev it currently is assumed devtmpfs is enabled.
>
> I mentioned putting a notice on the website for initramfs users, because
> until
> now our init scripts handled /dev and we're switching to having the kernel
> provide the initial populating of /dev
>
> Failing to at least warn the user when devtmpfs is used when installing will
> result in the box not booting properly and the init.d spell failing.
>
> Anyone running an unpatched kernel < 2.6.32 won't have the devtmpfs option
> so
> these kernels won't work with the current init.d and udev spells.
>
> David mentioned we need a proper upgrade path and yet the changes are made.
>
> This change needs more work.
>
> Arjan

Considering there is plenty of agreement that the upgrade path needs to
be in place before this goes into stable, none of the other issues
should come into play yet -- one thing at a time (i.e., the other issues
may inherently be resolved as part of the upgrade path).

As far as I know, this change is not in stable. Whether it should be in
test or only in a separate branch is up to the grimoire team (and
ultimately the CL) to decide. However, if it's agreed that it shouldn't
be in test either yet, then the correct course of action would be to
simply revert the change until it's ready.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage