sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] udev changes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] udev changes
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 21:24:16 +0200

>>> Please test.
>>> I created /run by udev spell, seems init.d could create it instead of
>>> udev.
>>>
>>> No idea why, by time to time (I restarted my box several times) boot
>>> fails during mountroot.sh (checking root file system, no /dev/sda6) but
>>> after CTRL-D works like a charm. Need testing.
>>

>> I have tested this.
>>
>> I regularly got problems:
>>
>> non-existent file fsck.ext3 whiletrying to open /dev/sda7 - mountroot.sh
>> failed.
>>
>> the subsequent reboot also failed.
>>
>> After several attempts, I disabled PARALLEL_INIT in /etc/syconfig/init and
>> things started sucessfully
>

> On my box I don't use PATALLEL_INIT.
> Having some time I was playing with it.
> I added some debug info into mountroot.sh and found out that really the
> file /dev/sda5 hadn't been created. When I added sleep 10 and tested
> again the file /dec/sda6 had been already created. What to do with this?
>

> echo "Checking root file system..."
> echo "HIHIHI"
> echo /proc/mounts
> cat /proc/mounts
> echo ls -l /dev/s
> ls -ld /dev/s*
> echo "HIHIHI"
> sleep 10
> echo "NEXT ATTEMPT"
> ls -ld /dev/s*
> echo "HIHIHI"
> /sbin/fsck -T -C $FIX $FORCE /
> evaluate_retval

Instead of sleep 10 is possible to use:

while ! -b /dev/sda6; do sleep 1; done
:-)

I found out and set these two variables in kernel (from 2.6.32):

# zgrep CONFIG_DEVTMPFS /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

>From http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DEVTMPFS.html :

This creates a tmpfs filesystem, and mounts it at bootup and mounts it
at /dev. The kernel driver core creates device nodes for all registered
devices in that filesystem. All device nodes are owned by root and have
the default mode of 0600. Userspace can add and delete the nodes as
needed. This is intended to simplify bootup, and make it possible to
delay the initial coldplug at bootup done by udev in userspace. It
should also provide a simpler way for rescue systems to bring up a
kernel with dynamic major/minor numbers. Meaningful symlinks,
permissions and device ownership must still be handled by userspace.

Imho, it is good idea to have it enabled. After we must remove this from
%DEV/devices

echo "Mounting ramfs at $udev_root"
mount -n -t ramfs none $udev_root

I updated init.d in devel-udev branch.