sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Evaluation of 2.6.32.4 as possible new kernel on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Evaluation of 2.6.32.4 as possible new kernel on ISO
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:29:26 -0500

Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [10.01.21 18:53]:

> >> I have been using 2.6.32.4 since I had updated the linux spell into
> >> 2.6.32.4. :-)
> >> Really no problem.
> >> Looking to the new stable iso. :-)
> >>

> > Please tell me the hardware you run it on as well as the settings
> > (filesystems, security options, etc.). Simply knowing that it runs
> > tells me that it is stable on one machine, but doesn't help me to know
> > how stable it is across a wide range of hardware and use cases. ;)
> >

> I really don't want to discuss again what kernel is stable.
> Look at www.kernel.org: Latest Stable Kernel: 2.6.32.4.
> Moreover 2.6.32 is new long mantained kernel
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg5MQ , upstream
> support of 2.6.27 is closing H2'2010 so where is the problem ? I have
> several boxes, really no needs to tell you, just allow in iso's kernel
> config as much hardware as possible. Of course we need support for all
> new filesystems: ext4, btrfs, ...

This is completely unhelpful and irrelevant. If you aren't interested in
disclosing what hardware and use cases you have experienced with the
2.6.32 series kernels, just say so. However, arguments that it is stable
simply because it is called stable have no merit. The 2.6.{28,29,30,31}
series were ALL called "stable", yet they all had their problems, which
is specifically why 2.6.27 was maintained and updated even as the ones
just mentioned were dropped. I am only interested in actual tested
cases, with real information of actual hardware, not claims. Also, I'm
not particularly concerned with supporting all of the
latest-and-greatest filesystems. Doing so would be nice, but ensuring
that the filesystems everyone already uses continue to have solid
support is priority.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage