sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Castfs usage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Castfs usage
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:34:16 +0100

Am Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:05:40 +0100
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

> On Thursday 26 November 2009 20:00:02 Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > downtime because some stuff needs to be updated together. Also, are we
> > serious with dispelling kdelibs before casting kdelibs? That's serious

> the reason for dispelling things like qt4 and kdelibs is that the configure
> stage sometimes finds and uses existing libraries. Then, during the install
> phase, they have disappeared and the spell spends a lot of time rebuilding
> things, or sometimes fails completely..
>
> I have tried to remove this behaviour, but it usally failed.

Just in case it's not clear: I have no problem with the dispel, as long
as it happens in the castfs only. The files can be deleted in the
overlay filesystem without being touched in the real file system.
Then, after successful cast, I would like to merge changes (deletes +
additions) from castfs to / . This should be possible.

Hm, but still... installing some KDE version to a different prefix
would still kill your install in / ... In this specific case, hm,
yes, I do have to wonder why the build-time conflict has to be. Back in
the old days, I built my KDEs to a separate /opt/kde-x.y each. No issues
there. Integrating it to /usr might force use of the conflict hack,
though. Well, castfs should solve this.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.