sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] awesome window manager in stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] awesome window manager in stable grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:44:06 +0100

[...]
> Onderwerp: Re: [informatique] azerty keyboards and Mod4 + 1-9 problems
>
> Bruno Vernay wrote:
> > Awesome uses combo like:
> > Mod4 + 1-9 : Switch to tag 1-9.
> > Mod4 + Shift + 1-9 : Tag client with tag.
> > Mod4 + Control + 1-9 : Toggle tag view.
> > Mod4 + Shift + Control + 1-9 : Toggle tag on client.
> >
> > It wasn't working on my config. I found out on IRC (thanks tyk) that I
> > needed a special config in my rc.lua because I have an azerty
> > keyboard.
> >
> > In fact, on an azerty keyboard, 1-9 needs the Shift key. I tryied
> > with the special keypad on the laptop keyboard, but it didn't work and
> > it seems that the normal keypad isn't working either.
> > So since the numbers needs the Shift key, it seems that:
> > - combo using numbers could be banned (replaced by F1-F9 ?)
> > - an include could be provided for each kind of keyboard map and the
> > documentation would make it obvious.
> > - it should be possible to find in the configuration which kind of
> > keyboard is used and automatically use the right map.

Seems like this only affects the combinations that include numbers, which
are not a problem on dvorak, as numbers work the same as on qwerty.
Here awesome simply didn't recognize the Mod4 key at all, no key
combination using it worked.
I still have this weird issue that ctrl-c is not working in awesome, but
is working in twm, the rest is fixed by the xcb-util downgrade.
http://www.sourcemage.org