sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] awesome window manager in stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] awesome window manager in stable grimoire
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:33:46 +0100

Op Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:51:47 +0100
Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net> schreef:

> Hi,
>
> just thought I'd write the list about this issue, as it took quite a
> while to figure out for me.
> If you're using awesome wm in stable grimoire, you might run into the
> issue that modifier keys are not working, making the whole wm awkward
> to use. For me, downgrading xcb-util to version 0.3.3 fixed the issue.

I've searched in the awesome ML a bit and found the info below. It
seems both azerty and dvorak keyboards are affected.

If you're using a querty kb, you can safely ignore this mail ;)

Arjan

Cc: awesome AT naquadah.org
Onderwerp: Re: [informatique] azerty keyboards and Mod4 + 1-9 problems

Bruno Vernay wrote:
> Awesome uses combo like:
> Mod4 + 1-9 : Switch to tag 1-9.
> Mod4 + Shift + 1-9 : Tag client with tag.
> Mod4 + Control + 1-9 : Toggle tag view.
> Mod4 + Shift + Control + 1-9 : Toggle tag on client.
>
> It wasn't working on my config. I found out on IRC (thanks tyk) that I
> needed a special config in my rc.lua because I have an azerty
> keyboard.
>
> In fact, on an azerty keyboard, 1-9 needs the Shift key. I tryied
> with the special keypad on the laptop keyboard, but it didn't work and
> it seems that the normal keypad isn't working either.
> So since the numbers needs the Shift key, it seems that:
> - combo using numbers could be banned (replaced by F1-F9 ?)
> - an include could be provided for each kind of keyboard map and the
> documentation would make it obvious.
> - it should be possible to find in the configuration which kind of
> keyboard is used and automatically use the right map.
>
>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout it seems that only
> France and Belgium have the privilege of an azerty layout !? As per
> the article, all the other have the numbers without Shift ?! If so,
> it makes the "only french speaking people need to tweak their config"
> case more realist.
> I admit, I though that all European countries (Italian, spanish,
> german ...) used some kind of azerty layout.
>
> Bruno

Note that the following should work for both azerty and qwerty
keyboards:

=============================8<-----------------------------
-- Bind keyboard digits
-- Compute the maximum number of digit we need, limited to 9
keynumber = 0
for s = 1, screen.count() do
keynumber = math.min(9, math.max(#tags[s], keynumber));
end

for i = 1, keynumber do
globalkeys = awful.util.table.join(globalkeys,
awful.key({ modkey }, '#1' .. i-1,
function ()
local screen = mouse.screen
if tags[screen][i] then
awful.tag.viewonly(tags[screen][i])
end
end),
awful.key({ modkey, "Control" }, '#1' .. i-1,
function ()
local screen = mouse.screen
if tags[screen][i] then
tags[screen][i].selected = not
tags[screen][i].selected
end
end),
awful.key({ modkey, "Shift" }, '#1' .. i-1,
function ()
if client.focus and
tags[client.focus.screen][i] then

awful.client.movetotag(tags[client.focus.screen][i])
end
end),
awful.key({ modkey, "Control", "Shift" }, '#1' .. i-1,
function ()
if client.focus and
tags[client.focus.screen][i] then

awful.client.toggletag(tags[client.focus.screen][i])
end
end),
awful.key({ modkey, "Shift" }, "F" .. i,
function ()
local screen = mouse.screen
if tags[screen][i] then
for k, c in
pairs(awful.client.getmarked()) do

awful.client.movetotag(tags[screen][i], c)
end
end
end))
end