sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Auto-generated HISTORY from `git commit` (was Re: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (7041bfdaf256227abdacc42113e14388785aae43))

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Auto-generated HISTORY from `git commit` (was Re: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (7041bfdaf256227abdacc42113e14388785aae43))
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:06:58 -0700

Eric Sandall wrote:
> George Sherwood wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:24:03 -0700
>> Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
>
>>> 4.86BETA9 or 4.85BETA9? :)
>>>
>> Fat fingered. Always believe DETAILS and HISTORY. :)
>
> Has anyone thought anymore of having HISTORY auto-generated from `git
> commit`? It'd be nice to not have to enter the information twice. ;)
> That means our commit messages would have to be more verbose than they
> currently our. ;)
>
> ----
> Brief one-liner
>
> Normal HISTORY entry
> ----
>
> e.g.
> ----
> ekiga: Updated to 3.0
>
> DETAILS: Updated to 3.0
> ----
>
> Then `git commit` would add all but the newline to HISTORY. I suppose we
> should move this to SM-Discuss? :)

Justin brought up an idea in
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2009-October/019787.html:
I think that the auto-generated commit entries (I assume you mean
specifically the commit messages) would only be appropriate for routine
commits done in the grimoire, such as simple spell updates or creations.
There would need to be an easy way to override that function though for
non-routine cases.

Depending on one's editor, this could be accomplished relatively easily.
However, a better solution would be to implement this as a git hook
(PREPARE-COMMIT-MSG, so that the editor is still brought up and the
template can easily be modified?) within the grimoire git repository,
which could be tracked by the repository and thus all clones of the main
repository would pull it in.

- -sandalle

- --
http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285