sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Documentation Guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Donald Johnson <ltdonny AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Documentation Guidelines
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:50:04 +0000

Documentation Guidelines

Table of Contents:
1. Intro
2. General Guidelines
3. Man-page Documentation
4. Wiki Documentation
4a. Command Pages
4b. FAQs
4c. HowTos
4d. Miscellaneous
A. Footnotes

1. Intro

Key words in this document will be based on RFC 2119. Review RFC 2119
at <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html>.

These document review guidelines have been written as a result of
sub-par documentation being present on both the Source Mage Wiki and in
the local Source Mage docs. The scope of these document guidelines
should cover both types of documentation.

This document was created by the Source Mage Tome Team and modified on
2009-10-07 as revision 02.

2. General Guidelines

All text SHOULD be wrapped to a standard 80 lines or less in both cases
when possible. The MoinMoin wiki markup is buggy at times and may not
allow a wrapped line to exist without glitches. This should not be a
problem for man-page markup.

Markup glitches MUST be noted by comments within any document. This is
to prevent making the same markup glitches twice when two reviewers
revise the document.

All documentation excluding HowTos and FAQs SHOULD have no first or
second person text. This will ensure a generally more technical writing
style and the communication of ideas more clearly.

3. Man-page Documentation

Some of the man-page documentation is outdated and disorganized.
Man-pages MUST follow the guidelines set in man(7). Man-pages are
RECOMMENDED to be released with new updates of commands, and updates to
the code that would result in incorrect documentation MUST to be
communicated through the bugtracker or through the official Tome IRC
channel. Man-pages SHOULD have alphabetically-organized lists. If
argument order is important, man-pages MUST list those before the rest
of the list items, possibly breaking alphabetical ordering. If
arguments to a command are subcommands, those arguments SHOULD have
hanging indents[1] to their own arguments.

4. Wiki Documentation

Wiki documentation includes the command pages, HowTos, and FAQs.

4a. Command Pages

Command pages for the Sorcery scripts SHOULD describe the same
functions as the man-pages, but MAY have a different wording in order
to possibly clarify end-users. All multi-line commands MUST be in
code blocks. Single-line commands SHOULD be denoted within a
paragraph in monospace, but MAY be denoted in code blocks.

4b. FAQs

FAQs MAY have first person in questions it contains and MAY have
second person in the answer to the questions. Reviewers SHOULD NOT
attempt to remove these if present. All FAQs with more than three
questions SHOULD have a table of contents.

4c. HowTos

HowTos MAY have a second person point of view in the documentation as
reasonable. HowTos SHOULD have a step-by-step process when feasible.
Newly-created HowTos MAY have first person view where additional
content can go for further update, but SHOULD use comment markup for
this purpose instead. HowTos older than three months old SHOULD have
no first person point of view present.

4d. Miscellaneous

All mentioned guidelines for other pages on the wiki are OPTIONAL.

A. Footnotes

[1] - Hanging indents are indents that proceed the first line of text
where defined (e.g. this footnote).

  • [SM-Discuss] Documentation Guidelines, Donald Johnson, 10/07/2009