sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Leave of absence (if there's such a thing)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Leave of absence (if there's such a thing)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:56:22 +0200

Am Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:53:25 -0400
schrieb flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:

> However, I loathe updating gcc on my systems.

Tried the merged gcc spell yet? For folks also installing g++ and gfortran,
this should be a huge improvement. But OK, it's not 1/10 of compile time,
what one would like to see... also, I switched back to more conservative
optimization flags. Even -O2 take considerable time (hm, I have -O2 atm ...
but well, when I'm shorter on time, just -O helps).
But in practice I must admit that I, too, don't upgrade stuff too often. Not
just because of long time to build but also because it always needs manual
intervention. Something is always broken. But, well, that is not enough to
drive me to another distro ... especially considering the effort and time I
spent on getting some basic stuff built to my liking on that Solaris account
I need to use at work. I want the pain of being not normal, apparently;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas.