sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Auto-generated HISTORY from `git commit` (was Re: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (7041bfdaf256227abdacc42113e14388785aae43))

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT swoolley.homeip.net>
  • To: "Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Auto-generated HISTORY from `git commit` (was Re: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (7041bfdaf256227abdacc42113e14388785aae43))
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:52:16 -0700

Why not discontinue adding to HISTORY and put all history in the git commit
message. The reason why is that gaze HISTORY can simply get it from git.
If the package has the git commit it came from somewhere it can be sure it
has the correct git log too.

Why bloat our downloads for every change?

Every git clone will get the history, and we can move the history files to a
part that doesn't get downloaded each time and make gaze HISTORY grab the
rest of the changes from the moved location of the HISTORY files in git.

The GPL does require we include changes with source downloads (as per git),
but the actual download most users will get need not include all that extra
data which will never be used -- it's the "binary".

Somebody might delete the HISTORY files to see how much space we could save
to see if it's worth it.

Seth