sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Be a smeghead, come to SMEG

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Remko van der Vossen" <wich AT stack.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Be a smeghead, come to SMEG
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:09:25 +0100 (CET)

> Great, you've already planned this pretty much through. :)

Some preparation never hurt anybody ;)

> I volunteer to help with the talks and workshops. I've added some notes
> about that to the wiki.

Awesome.

> Last year the hackathlon goal was the clearing of our quickfix marked
> bugs and getting the total count below 1000 (we succeeded at both).
> For this year I suggest we attack something else: spell submissions
> (68 today) and bugs with patches (49 today). We should be more
> /careful/ about such contributions. That doesn't sound that much, but
> it is actually plenty of work and if we do clear it all, I'm sure
> we'll be able to find other stuff to hack on.

Sounds good, maybe a total bug count target would be nice as well, given
that we would already be targetting 100+ bugs that should be feasible I
think.

> About facilities: since you're already from there I hope we'll be able
> to set up our networking in a matter of hours if not less. At COME-1
> we lost quite some time for dealing with this (the fact that Ladislav
> and me had fresh installs didn't help either).

Yes, this should be a breeze, I am at Stack regularly and can prepare
all the stuff necessary. Besides the tagged infra we have at Stack, we
always have a simple 8 port switch available with direct hookups, just
plug in and play. But I'll probably also make sure we have a bigger
(24-48 port) switch available with untagged direct hookups. If I gather
people's WLAN MAC addresses I can also set up wifi access beforehand.

Infra in the classroom where we will be doing the talks will be a bit
more difficult. There only the university net is available which we
don't have direct control over. We'll have to see what we can do there,
if I take care of it soon enough I should be able to get access there as
well. But that will probably only be wired. Perhaps I can get accounts for
the university guest wifi network as well, but I have no idea yet where I
would need to apply for that.

> ps1: why the smeg is it smeg and not come too? :)

Oh, come on... :P

Smeg is just smegging cool, and gives us a smegging heapful of
geeky smeg references to boot.

> ps2: you have Reply-To set

Sorry, webmail... Should be solved now.

Oh, by the way, one thing, FreeBSD is the OS of choice for many a
Stacker, so be prepared ;)

Remko van der Vossen