sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [hackers] svn Gwydion does not build

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [hackers] svn Gwydion does not build
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:33:31 +0100

On Thursday 11 of December 2008 04:51:31 ron wrote:
> My rant was a late night wish meant to humorously provoke.
You should've said something silly like python. ;)

> Can't you see the potential in communicating and teaching Source Mage's
> unique
> bash scripting system contributions, through block diagrams
You can most likely create block diagrams for any program, regardless of the
language of implementation.

> and an easier to learn, smalltalk like, scripting language.
It may be easier to learn [citation needed], but the number of people that
are
already familiar with sh greatly outweighs any such benefit.

> I thought that was a good wish.
>
> I don't learn very well by asking remotely.
>
> I like to learn by book, and hands on, myself, and after I can speak the
> language, then ask others.
>
> That was my only intention that I asked the Magi to ponder.
>
> I take it the Magi want me to learn bash first.
> Your requirements of installing a base Source Mage Linux
>
> learning your way around remotely, with incomplete instructions
>
> learning bash at the same time, as you try to decipher the system scripts,
> seems harsh.
I don't really understand what you want to do. Please explain it in greater
detail, as now I just get the impression you learned something cool and want
to apply that knowledge (to smgl) if it makes sense or not. I'm also confused
by this talk of requirements. A Source Mage system isn't needed for exploring
sorcery.

In case you're interested, the best book about bash scripting is available
here: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org