sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] usb install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robert Figura <rfigura AT aubergine.zwischengesicht.de>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] usb install
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:02:56 +0100

I have a barebone system here with no cdrom or floppy. I just asked on
irc wether we support this and got some answers (thanks justin).

Now follows a summary of my problems and solutions:

- first partitioned the usb key, copied the cdrom's files onto it and
made it bootable

I used unetbootin to do this which saved me finding out about the
correct grub install procedure yet (see below) but i don't think it did
more for me.

- the kernel didn't have the module ehci-hcd.ko
- that module is on cdrom so i just needed to insert them into the
/boot/initrd.gz
- unzip, mount -o loop somewhere, add module file, umount, zip again
- note that if you edit or copy stuff the resulting initrd.gz may be
too large. in that case dd if=/dev/zero of=initrd.new bs=1M count=14,
mke2fs initrd.new, mount loop, copy, umount, zip and use that file.
- then we need to grub-install properly. after cd'ing to the usb device do:
- grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=. /dev/sdb
- note that /dev/sdb is the usb key.
- umount the sdb and boot it!
- press c for grub commandline and type
- kernel /boot/linux root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=14000 rw init=/bin/sh
- initrd /boot/initrd.gz
- boot
- now load the module, make some device nodes and mount the cdrom
- /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd
- mknod /dev/hda b 3 0
- mknod /dev/hda1 b 3 1
- mknod /dev/hda2 b 3 2
- mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
- mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
- note: sda is the usb on the new system, hda the harddisk
- i would have loved to use /sbin/smgl.init but that script insists on
mounting the cdrom as -t iso9660 which isn't true for my usb
- mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cdrom
- so we're copying stuff manually
- mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/floppy # this dir already exists. root would
have been a better name tho
- cd /mnt/floppy
- export
"PATH=/mnt/cdrom/sbin:/mnt/cdrom/usr/sbin:/mnt/cdrom/bin:/mnt/cdrom/usr/bin:$PATH"
- tar xjvf ../cdrom/system.tar.bz2
- mount /mnt/floppy -o remount,ro
- sync
- note that i had some problems to properly mount / ro so if you can
use the sys-request key to umount and sync before rebooting
- after that i could boot from usb into hd (in grub 'c' mode):
- kernel /boot/linux root=/dev/hda2 ro
- note that the mountall.sh ran into problems and i had to 'i'gnore
them

Looks like netconf isn't very useful anymore... wth.

I hope this will help folks hacking.

Justin: No worry, i'll be on irc today or next day and i didn't forget
to file bugs (just haven't done so yet).

Faithfully, Your
- Robert Figura

--
/* mandlsig.c 0.42 (c) by Robert Figura */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nt>neo.ckgel-t\