sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Keyboard and Mouse in xorg-server 1.5.3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Keyboard and Mouse in xorg-server 1.5.3
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:34:43 -0800

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:42:58 -0600
George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:34:32 -0800
> Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > If, after updating to xorg-server 1.5.3, you no longer have the use
> > of a standard keyboard or mouse (using the kbd or mouse drivers),
> > you will want to add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> >
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> > Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
> > EndSection
> >

> > Otherwise devices using the kbd and mouse drivers will be disabled.
> > Devices using other inputs (e.g. synaptics or evdev) will continue
> > to work fine (with or without the above).
>
> Sandalle,
> Thanks for figuring this out. When I updated to xorg-server
> 1.5.3, X was froze up for me. Sounds like not really frozen
> just no input devices available.

Yup, I had the same issue, though my touchpad uses synaptics, so that
still worked and I could logout without a hard reboot (no keyboard to
do CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE). :) This was right before Adrienne wanted me to
join her in some gaming fun, so I was in a small panick. ;)

I've also added this tidbit to http://www.sourcemage.org/FaqUsage.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285