sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] lvm and device-mapper

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Ethan Grammatikidis" <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] lvm and device-mapper
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 04:22:04 +0000

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:49:52 -0600, "Jeremy Blosser"
<jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> said:
> On Nov 10, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:18:16 -0600
> > Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:

> > > Upstream has decided a package "device-mapper" no longer exists. Why
> > > should we create (and maintain) one?
> >
> > Because I don't want the complexity of one spell providing, optionally,
> > device-mapper and/or lvm. I like the core packages to be simple. :)
>
> But we don't do what we like, we give the user what they expect from
> upstream, at least as default.
>
> > > #2 is one of the worst IMO, it's completely off track with upstream.
> >
> > Sometimes upstream is stupid.
>
> Often upstream is stupid. We're not supposed to change things from what
> they provide anyway. We don't patch, we don't add flags, don't tweak.
>
> > :) However, I'd go for #1 if no one likes #2. I liked #2 because it keeps
> > our setup the same, users won't notice, and we cut down on downloads by
> > one source (granted, both are included in one tarball).
>
> Users will notice if they track upstream or if they're coming to us from
> upstream. Docs based on upstream will be wrong when on our distro. Etc.

Install not matching upstream docs is hateful. :) Seriously, that's the
main thing I think of when I say why I like SMGL: In SMGL what you get
matches upstream docs.

OTOH I rather thought #5 looked good. If someone has trouble with their
box because lvm autodetects something nonexistent they can at least
leave lvm off their box. It might never be an issue, but every now &
then I have to deal with configuring some seriously arcane stuff to get
my system working again just because devs of some other package decided
it would be a nice idea for their package to depend on or meld with
complexomatic junk.
--
This post brought to you by:
Ethan Grammatikidis,