sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] lvm and device-mapper

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] lvm and device-mapper
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:06:09 +0100

Hi,
I have just updated lvm to 2.02.43 in test grimoire and found out that sources of new device-mapper 1.02.29 have been merged into lvm 2.02.43 sources.
From ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/README_CODE_MOVED :

This directory is no longer being updated.

Starting with LVM2 release 2.02.43, the device-mapper files are now included
with the LVM2 releases (in ../lvm2).

You can build device-mapper from that tarball without building LVM2.

10th November 2008

I have no idea how log they will support installing device-mapper without building lvm.

What to do?
1) Deprecate device-mapper, always install default lvm with device mapper.
2) Update device-mapper to use sources of lvm, fixed lvm spell not to install device-mapper (no idea how difficult it is).
3) Deprecate device-mapper spell and update lvm spell to ask user if install only device-mapper or device-mapper with lvm.
4) Merge device-mapper and lvm spells into device-mapper-lvm spell and ask user if install also lvm?

I am probably for 1, it is upstream.

--
Ladislav Hagara