sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] lvm and device-mapper

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] lvm and device-mapper
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:24:54 -0500

Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [08.11.10 10:06]:
> What to do?
> 1) Deprecate device-mapper, always install default lvm with device mapper.
> 2) Update device-mapper to use sources of lvm, fixed lvm spell not to
> install device-mapper (no idea how difficult it is).
> 3) Deprecate device-mapper spell and update lvm spell to ask user if
> install only device-mapper or device-mapper with lvm.
> 4) Merge device-mapper and lvm spells into device-mapper-lvm spell and
> ask user if install also lvm?
>
> I am probably for 1, it is upstream.

<2 cents>
I'm not happy about them merging the two, as device-mapper can be used
with other components as well (encryption, etc.), though I'm not sure if
lvm is required to use those other targets now. However, even though I'm
not happy with the merger since I don't see a good reason for it, I
agree that (1) seems the best route because that's the upstream route.
</2 cents>

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage