sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO installation presentation
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:35:10 -0400

I don't want to start a flame-war, but I do want to get a general
consensus. A lot of people have voiced that they don't like the way the
installer presents the "todo" information, that it is actually confusing
and hard to find the text the installer is currently outputting versus
what was already on the screen from before (since we don't clear the
screen first). I'm not opposed to modifying the behavior to clear the
screen, but it made me think. First of all, I know some users just plain
don't like having the screen cleared after they run commands (unless
they are explicitly executing clear themselves). However, more important
I think, it might make it easier for newer users to follow what they are
doing, since they can see the commands they just did if the screen
doesn't clear, and hence get a sense for the flow of the whole process.
However, if the screen isn't cleared, it's definitely harder to pick out
what's current compared to what's old, and they could get lost in the
text.

What's the consensus from all of you on this? Please don't just answer
"clear +1" or "no-clear +1" or whatever. I would like some real
constructive feedback :-D.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage