sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu Lonjaret" <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comments - formating in spells
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:27:17 +0200

I prefer using tabs for indentation as one gets the tab width flexibility
which makes everyone happy about how large they want the indent to be.

That said, I don't mind using spaces instead as it's pretty much transparent
when writing code, since the editors I use (vim or acme) are both decent
enough to handle spaces as well as tabs. I would have assumed any editor
would fare well no matter what you use...
The only thing that matters in the end is to be coherent and stick with the
indent method which was used for a given file, so that it stays readable
whatever means you use to display it (thinking of cat, less, etc...)

Then if some ppl have enough free time on their hands to spend it on "fixing"
indent, good for them, if they really think that can help the whole community
and not only for the sake of imposing their style...
However as it's been already said, it should not get in the way of other ppl
who want to review real commits, so I'm in favor of separate commits for
indents.

Cheers,
Mathieu