sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] install iso 0.10.0-test1 tested ....

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] install iso 0.10.0-test1 tested ....
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 02:26:44 +0200

Hi,

I have tested new 0.10.0-test1 iso so my comments.
I must say I have won. :-)
Now "sorcery rebuild" is running.

It was my first work with 0.10 branch iso so you can imagine I was really shocked. Yea, you can install systems with only from command line but old ncurses approach is definitely user friendlier. Do we want to attract only hard core linux gurus or even win the hard core linux distro championship? Any possibility to continue with 0.9.6.3 iso? New approach is fine if you want to learn Linux but it breaks you if you just want to quickly install some boxes.

Back to this iso:
Imho after every "next" the screen shoud be cleared. Titles of particular screens should be placed on the top of the screen, not in the centre or even lower. It is confusing.

Comments to some screens:

init)
"Copyright 2002-2005" should be updated to 2002-2008.

disk-partition, disk-format)
"/dev/hda" sould be changed to "/dev/hda or /dev/sda". "/dev/hda1" to "/dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1".
You can not divide scsi disk by "fdisk /dev/hda".

5/12)
There is some comments "do cat /tmp/selected-keymap".
This file does not exist.

Defautl fstab could contains also "usbfs /proc/bus/usb".

lilo)
Why /boot/.map and not /boot/map? Even iso's lilo.conf contains map=/boot/.map. I always use /boot/map.
Why only install=text and not install=bmp?

useradd)
There is written "you may also change the group".
No, you must create that group firstly (or edit /etc/group).

12/12)
Why umount /mnt/root/... ?
Is not shutdown -r enough?

I remember times when our iso could be burned on small cd (220 MB). Now it is 480 MB.
No problems, only why it contains "top, gpm, ...". There is openssl but no openssh on install iso.

You should fix /etc/sourcemage-release file (0.9.6.1 on Fri Feb 23 17:44:19 UTC 2007).

Some screen with network setting is really missing, at least some help, some /etc/network/interfaces.example.
Some help how to set hostname (edit /etc/hostname), dns resolver (edit /etc/resolv.conf), ...

Why /var/log/sorcery/activity starts from 20070223. Imho it should start with time of installation.

After installation I got only kernel panic. Problems to find root fs. Something with scsi support. I had to boot install iso and recompile kernel (added some scsi driver?).
There should be prepared also (optional) screen with kernel compiling and installing.

Have a nice ...
--
Ladislav Hagara