sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Release of 0.10.0-test1 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, SM-Announce <sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Release of 0.10.0-test1 ISO
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:07:06 -0400

I finally got all the bits working that are absolutely necessary for
this release. I'm sure that there will still be plenty of bugs, but I
will need you guys to test the ISO to find them. Then I will squash
them. With extreme prejudice. Like, with a rock or something.

The release will most likely happen this evening (EDT). However, I have
things to clean up, and I will be trying to minimize the size of the ISO
as well, before releasing. Therefore, it's possible that something will
come up (like RL) and I will release tomorrow night, but most likely it
will happen tonight. You may now all grip the edges of your seats.

Summary of major changes in this ISO:
* Use of udev in the ISO's bootup initrd (autodetect hardware and
autoload modules for it). Watch out for this, as it's possible that the
ISO will detect your hardware and load modules for it, but the installed
kernel might not (we don't install an initrd for you, at least not yet).
I tried to ensure that this would not be the case, but I cannot be
certain. Please test using the ISO kernel and make sure that it boots.
If you are looking to just have a working system from this and aren't
interested in helping to test the ISO, then I would just recommend (as
always) to build a new, fresh kernel for your system rather than relying
on the one provided on the ISO. This can be done during the install
phase itself (i.e. from within the ISO) by chrooting into /mnt/root (you
can just run our chroot script smgl-chroot) and going into
/usr/src, unpacking the linux sources (bunzip2 linux-2.6.22.tar.bz2),
creating a symlink (ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.22 /usr/src/linux), and
then issuing the regular kernel make command series (e.g., make
menuconfig && make && make modules && make modules_install).
* The ISO kernel is more modular. I'm hoping that this will resolve
bug #14495. I need people with corresponding hardware to test this
though.
* ncurses is now most definitely built with utf-8 enabled, both for
the ISO and for the system tarball.
* The linux kernel sources are now included in the system tarball, so
it should be possible to build a new kernel and/or different kernel
modules even if you are having trouble getting a network connection.
This should resolve bug #14405.
* Various other bugfixes that are more minor/superficial.

For all bug-hunting, please file bugs against 0.10.0 in the bugzilla
database (http://bugs.sourcemage.org). It's really much more helpful to
me if all the bugs are in the same place rather than having to hunt them
down via scattered emails or IRC logs. Thanks! :-D

If there are any questions/concerns/problems, I'll be around in IRC as
usual, or you can email me of course.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage