sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4.3 not quite ready for primetime

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4.3 not quite ready for primetime
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:53:35 -0700

On Friday 11 April 2008 15:26:07 Arjan Bouter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:21:54PM +0200, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > On Friday 11 of April 2008 18:46:45 David Kowis wrote:
> > > Lots of things don't build. The kernel doesn't build for Christ's sake!
> >
> > The most recent ones do. Earlier like 2.6.24.4 need a line removed in one
> > of the makefiles.
>
> Erm, that's not an option for some of us... If I'd use any more recent
> kernel it'd mean I lose my internet connectivity... I totally agree with
> David here. 10% breaking is too much, even for test.
>
> I seem to remember, back in the old days, that changes like this were
> tested separate from the test grimoire and integrated once they stabilized
> a bit. Saying it doesn't matter if the kernel won't compile doesn't sound
> right to me at all...
>
> Arjan

I didn't say it doesn't matter, just that (for me) it worked when I tested it
(but only on x86_64, as I found out after checking again). There are fixes,
they are simple, they just need to be applied.

Also note that this *has* been available for testing in the devel-gcc branch
for almost a month (March 17) and I only pushed it to test after posting,
repeatedly (basically a whole thread with just me talking and one comment by
Jaka), my progress with it and that I had tested 600+ spells with my changes.
I even went out of my way and tested all of the mozilla packages, and fixed
most (not all were easily fixable), even though I only use one of them.

Don't say we didn't ask for testing nor provide the means to do so. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285