sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4.3 not quite ready for primetime

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GCC 4.3 not quite ready for primetime
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:30:36 -0700

On Friday, April 11 2008 16:46:45 David Kowis wrote:
> Lots of things don't build. The kernel doesn't build for Christ's sake!
> It's definitely not quite ready for the test grimoire as lots of
> spells die. I can't even get through a complete rebuild.
> CPIO doesn't build in gcc 4.3
> the kernel doesn't build in gcc 4.3
>
> That's like 2 out of 20. So that's like 10% of our spells won't build
> on gcc 4.3. And I haven't even gotten into kde stuff yet.
>
> I know it's the test grimoire, but this is ridiculous. This is fodder
> for the devel grimoire.
> Stuff in test is supposed to work for the most part. I suppose you
> could define that 10% of spells failing is not the most part, but when
> you can't even compile a kernel using that gcc, that's pathetic.

Use a newer kernel. :)

As for spell failures...the spells which fail for you are working on three of
my boxes (two x86 and one x86_64). The only major issue I've run into is
gnupg, which I'm testing now (thanks to Ladislav's hint) and will try to find
a good fix, otherwise I'll just revert the latest curl.

I have 600+ spells compiling fine.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285