sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: sorcery usabilty study results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: sorcery usabilty study results
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:34:16 -0500

Jaka Kranjc (smgl AT lynxlynx.info) wrote [08.03.31 18:11]:
> So here is the sorted initial list of the shortcuts and what they woud run:
> cc - cast --queue (who can spell queue anyway?)
> cp - cleanse --prune
> dd - dispel --downgrade
> gs - gaze search
> gv - gaze version
> sg - sorcery upgrade
> sh - sorcery hold
> sq - sorcery -q
> su - scribe update

In my opinion these are a very bad idea. They will confuse users more
(because the meaning behind them will be hidden), and worse, they will
confuse the user's system (try doing a "cp X Y" when cleanse is
renamed..or compile something with cast --queue? :-P). In my opinion
it's better to keep the sorcery/cleanse/etc., but clean up the name
space for consistency. As an example, dispel -d doesn't dispel (well,
OK, it does, but it also casts, which is the important part). This
should be moved to cast -d in my opinion. Also, having all the different
cast/gaze/cleanse/scribe commands accessible via sorcery (like sorcery
cast $SPELL) would help, because then users really only need to remember
one command: sorcery. If they forget what to do with it, RTFM :) If
someone wants the short commands, then they can make their own aliases
or wrapper scripts.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage