sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Code reuse / Guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: sqweek <sqweek AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Code reuse / Guidelines
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:56:34 +0900

On Jan 18, 2008 5:26 AM, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
> As for the user-view, there has been talk (and little work) on
> implementing KEYWORDS so that sections will no longer matter to users.
> See
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-April/010346.html
> for the beginning of that thread.
>
> I swear there was a list of keywords to use, but I cannot find it
> anymore. Perhaps I am blind. :)

Well, I count 356 keywords currently in use[1], which are a
no-brainer to add to new spells. It's only when adding new keywords
that some thought is required.
Though, the current list needs some cleaning up already - I see
cli/console/terminal, coding/devel, daemon/daemons, database/db,
driver/drivers, doc/documentation, email/mail, editor/editors,
filesystem/filesystems, finance/financial/expense, font/fonts,
games/gasmes(lol), i18n/18n, im/chat/messaging, hardware/devices,
httpd/webserver, image/images, japanese/Japanese, kbd/keyboard,
kde/KDE, kernel/kernels, ldap/LDAP, library/libs, logger/logging,
microsoft/ms-works/word, module/modules, net/network,
nodes/cluster/distributed, player/players, plugin/plugins,
postcript(xD)/postscript/Postscript, printer/printing/cups,
project/management, p2p/peertopeer, report/reporting, scan/scanner,
search/query, sniffer/monitor, sorcery/smgl, subversion/svn,
tool/toolkit/tools, theme/themes, unicode/utf-8/charset,
utils/utility, viewer/display, wireless/wlan, zip/archive/compression
and probably others that I've missed.
Some of them just stand out as odd alone:
* keywords using capitals:
C/Guile/Japanese/KDE/LDAP/MusicBrainz/Postscript/RDF
* rogue-like - interesting spelling...
* bling, command, counter, cue, dbi, deskshow, dynamic, lexical,
libmcs, looper, mdb, meanwhile, mowgli, obex, out-of-office, presence,
vacation - I have no clue what this keyword might imply
* wmii - ok I'm flattered, but is a keyword really called for?
* bash, bonobo, blackbox, cairo, cpufreq, docbook, emacs, evolution,
firebird, gimp, git, gkrellm, mozilla, mysql, pango, pidgin,
postgresql, plugged, setiathome, sqlite, tango, wordperfect, xmms -
again, do these all deserve their own keyword?
* cdrom/dvd - seems less consistent than cd/dvd. also related is
burning and maybe disk/ide
* gnome2-lib/gnome-libs - again with the inconsistent names. also is
there point in having -lib over just gnome/gnome2?
* inputdev - this seems remarkably specific, would probably make more
sense an just input
* telepathy - wtf lol

Wow. That's a right mess.
-sqweek

[1] find $codex -name DETAILS |xargs grep -h KEYWORDS |sed
's/.*KEYWORDS=//' |tr -d \"\' |tr ' ' '\n' |sort |uniq |tee /dev/tty