sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Code reuse / Guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Code reuse / Guidelines
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:26:54 -0800

Quoting Elisamuel Resto <samuel AT dragonboricua.net>:
<snip>
I agree with your comment about the sections being logical to the user. But the fact
of the matter is, while the user doesn't *care* about it, *we* do since we maintain
these spells. If one updates the python build functions, we would need to also
update any and all spells outside of the section to accomodate... now who is making
double workload?

There are no set standards, but sensible guidelines on what you should do... if you
asked.

The thread you referenced to which I saw briefly last year was well discussed, you
shuld see the ideas/thoughts of most of our *active* developers back then and I
assume those have not changed.

Code re-use is preferred, but by no means the ultimate reason for where a spell goes. As usual it is up to whomever is doing the work to decide, though it is polite to mention on the ML if they're going to be moving files around (which both developers did). :)

As for the user-view, there has been talk (and little work) on implementing KEYWORDS so that sections will no longer matter to users. See https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-April/010346.html for the beginning of that thread.

I swear there was a list of keywords to use, but I cannot find it anymore. Perhaps I am blind. :)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285