sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Code reuse / Guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Code reuse / Guidelines
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:39:19 +0100

On 17:20:32 2008-01-17 flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> </snip>
> >
> > I agree with your comment about the sections being logical to the
> > user. But the fact of the matter is, while the user doesn't *care*
> > about it, *we* do since we maintain these spells. If one updates the
> > python build functions, we would need to also update any and all
> > spells outside of the section to accomodate... now who is making
> > double workload?
> >
> > There are no set standards, but sensible guidelines on what you
> > should do... if you asked.
> >
> > The thread you referenced to which I saw briefly last year was well
> > discussed, you shuld see the ideas/thoughts of most of our *active*
> > developers back then and I assume those have not changed.
> >
> > --
> > Elisamuel Resto <samuel AT dragonboricua.net>
> > Source Mage GNU/Linux / http://www.sourcemage.org
> > ID: 0x18615F19 / FP: B66D 1C2A E8EE B922 1D9C D98F D2D5 FB61 1861 5F19
>
> I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but what if the code for the spells
> was kept in python-pypi to reduce code duplication, but a dir in
> audio-players was symlinked to the spell dir in python-pypi? This would
> enable the user to see the spell as present in audio-players, but allow
> us to devel it where it belongs for dev purposes. Of course, this could
> end up exploding into tons of symlinked dirs all over the place, but I'm
> wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are. I guess it would be like
> tagging, where stuff is supposed to get multiple tags.

There are already plans for dynamicaly generated grimoires based on
keywords... But nobody really took the time to take that further...

Anyway if Alexander doesn't like it here he should try doing some more or
maybe really switch to something else...

I must say over the past year we improved a LOT...
The main things holding us back atm is lack of any real direction since
we're actually enjoying our work and not bothering about "popularity"
"large user base" and other such useless cruft...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C