sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT stack.nl>
  • To: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] python-devel => python-pypi
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:32:08 +0100

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:15:50PM +0000, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> I agree that gaze version should not return section contents. The
> current behaviour is a right pain when a spell happens to have the
> same name as a section, and I find that comes up more often than you
> might think. I frequently use the various gaze commands as part of a
> compound command, but the unpredictability of gaze version can render
> the whole compound useless.

How about we do it like this, by default gaze expects a spell name, if
it doesn't exist it will return info on a section if that exists. But
also incluse a --spell <name> and --section <name> options if you want
to be explicit about it or need to make a distinction beteen clashes.
That makes it fine for interactive use (you normally use it like we do
now, and only use --section when you need to distinguish between a name
clash) and also takes care of any ambiguities in non-interactive use
(you simply be explicit).

Regards,

Remko van der Vossen