sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.6.1 spell fun

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.6.1 spell fun
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:26:38 +0200

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 06:13:15PM +0500, George Sherwood wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:27:14 -0700
> "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay, I've got glibc 2.6.1 installed with a local spell. I added in my
> > headers from here [0] and added a few extra hacks/patches to deal with
> > audit/selinux building in glibc. I'll post the spell here [1] and will
> > be rebuilding my system with the spell. So, if there are no objections
> > after I finish I'll submit the spell to devel and others will be
> > welcome to try it.
> >
> > [0] http://dmlb2000.homelinux.org/pub/kernel-headers/
> > [1]
> > http://dmlb2000.homelinux.org/pub/kernel-headers/glibc-2.6.1.tar.gz
>
> Today I installed glibc 2.6.1 from devel. At first I couldn't install
> due to the variable GLIBC_ARCH from DETAILS being unset in PRE_BUILD.
> I couldn't find anything wrong and the only way to get around was to
> set GLIBC_ARCH=i386 at the top of PRE_BUILD. After this the spell
> didn't install any headers in /usr/include/asm-generic due to an old
> symbolic link being there with that name. I deleted that broke link
> (it was a very old kernel version) and the install plus all triggers
> worked fine. No issues so far. I removed my change to PRE_BUILD and
> the spell in devel works fine. No idea what caused that.

I had a similar issue with the headers due to there being symlinked
directories from when I started testing the system with vanilla headers.
Those issues will probably only hit people who once messed around with
headers, and the problem for me was just that the headers weren't
tracked, because they ended up in /usr/src/linux.
glibc itself works fine, so far it triggered one bug in wxgtk which
causes vlc to not work anymore, but I'm already testing the fix I found.

http://www.sourcemage.org