sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ati_driver-new

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ati_driver-new
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:34:04 -0700

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:42:57 +0800
Craig Dyke <grail69 AT amnet.net.au> wrote:

> Okay, so I have gone through and got xorg-server installed and my xorg.conf
> works with the standard vesa driver (some success)
>
> I tried casting xf86-video-ati, which cast fine but X tells me No
> Devices detected
> when using ati in config file :(
>
> So my query is two fold:
>
> 1. Is there some trick to getting the driver I have installed working?
> 2. If I install the new one mentioned below, do we just use the "run"
> file (just curious where it will install all the files)

The open source "ati" driver *may* not support your card (I'm having
this issue with the "nv" driver on a Dell Inspiron 1520).
Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if it says why it's not finding a
device.

I've attached my /etc/X11/xorg.conf which is working with my ATI
Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500].

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285