sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] haskell-devel section

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] haskell-devel section
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:44:32 -0700

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:13:34 +0500
"Alexander Tsamutali" <astsmtl AT gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/8/9, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:
> > Maybe just call it haskell, similar to perl-cpan, php-pear, java, etc.
> > So yes, you may. :)
>
> Hmm... Our section names related to specific PL's are somewhat inconsistent:
>
> * java
> * perl-cpan
> * php-pear
> * python-devel
>
> I'm planning to call new section just "haskell".

That is what I'd recommend as well. The perl-cpan and php-pear are
named so as they list the type (perl) as well as the distribution
packaging (CPAN).

> The another question is how to call spells. Names of many packages
> from HackageDB conflict with standard unix names and other projects
> [0]:
>
> * tar
> * time
> * exif
> * OpenGL
> * X11
> * SDL
> * OpenAL
>
> I have two proposals:
>
> * We can rename every spell prefixing it with some string, for ex.:
> hs-opengl or libhs-opengl. * We can rename only spells which we feel
> may have conflicting names.
>
> Personally i like the first. So what do you think?
>
> [0] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html

I would also go with the first, probably prefixing with
haskell-<package> (or your shorter hs, though that doesn't contain much
information in the name ;)). I'd prefer the full haskell-*, but in the
end it's up to whomever submits them (e.g. you ;)).

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285