sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:03:32 -0800

Quoting David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:
Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
I'd like to have a freeze on the grimoire when we come up to release
time. No commits to test until we've finished fixing the bugs that have
to be fixed. That's it. No exceptions. "Real" software processes work
this way. You've a feature freeze and then you work on the release.
Anything spiffy or unneccesary is omitted, or put off until later. We
don't do that. We're pretty lax.

That's exactly what i proposed here:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2007-January/015995.html
Can we adopt such process?

Close to what I'm thinking of. Except let's not just limit it to QA
leads or anything. Anyone can commit to stable-rc at this time, perhaps
they operate through submitting patches through the leads, or a group of
volunteers, so that it's guaranteed to be peer-reviewed. But we
completely lock down the test grimoire, it's frozen. stable-rc gets it's
bugs fixed, and the release is pushed out to stable.

While that sounds as though it would get stable-rc/stable updated, keep in mind that we're all volunteers and have 'advertised' that we let developers work on what they want. If we didn't, I believe we'd have fewer developers, or at least commits from developers, until we re-opened. Or I could be completely off and being more strict about who does what might encourage people to work on bugs and have others join (showing that we are an 'organization' and not 'a group of developers with common interest').

Perhaps a trial of the freeze method is in order?

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/