sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:25:25 -0600

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:38:14 -0800
Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:

> > Perhaps a trial of the freeze method is in order?
> >

> Well, stable-rc kind of approximates that freeze, we dont put version
> bumps in it, and, in theory we fix the bugs in the spells we care about.
>
> Hypothetically, we could remove stable-rc and freeze test, then once
> test meets our standards (some subset of spells "works"), then release
> it. However people will just start submitting there version bumps to
> devel (where else?). And devel will become what test is now. Devel right
> now means something else, so we'd end up merging the current definition
> of test with that of devel. Or, we'd make another "really-devel" grimoire.
>
> The thing about stable-rc is that it recognizes there are 4 stages,
> not 3. If we remove one of the steps, we inadvertantly merge stages
> together, and then, as history shows, we'll waste yet more time arguing
> about what the 2 stages represent. So, I think freezing is a step backwards.
>

> -Andrew

So in theory we have test and stable.
When it is time for a freeze, test gets snapshot into stable-rc.
Once stable-rc has no more bugs against it, it becomes 'stable'.
At which point stable-rc has no need to exist.
So the freeze everyone talks about is stable-rc, or should be.

This leaves test open for those who want to provide versions bumps while
stable-rc is "readied". There are no version bumps in stable-rc, unless
perhaps security related items.
And it allows stable-rc to become the new 'stable' by fixing it while
'stable' users have something to use, w/o having to worry about anything
being dropped on them, that has not gotten proper testing.

We don't need to freeze test to have a freeze, let's face it, the idea is "if
we freeze test, people have no choice but to work on stable-rc", which some
will welcome, and others will not (i think at least we will have both sides).
What we need is a motivation for people to work on stable-rc, not a way to
force them to do it.

This is how i see it, let's treat stable-rc as the release candidate it is,
not turn test into one, nor use freezing of test as a 'motivator', i think it
would backfire/have no effect.
Leaving test open allows people to do what they perceive as day to day work.

No, i have no one size fits all suggestion on how to motivate people. Can't
say my motivation is at a peak here either.

Daniel