sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xen Kernels
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:01:31 -0600

David Brown wrote:
> I've been doing a lot of work with xen at work and it's given me some
> thought again on how to integrate the kernel part into the linux
> spell. I've made a xen patch for the linux kernel and can put it into
> the linux spell. However, this would deprecate the current
> xen-kernels spell (kinda). The hyporvisor still needs to be built, so
> one could just remove the kernel building part from xen-kernels so it
> only builds the hyporvisor. The xen-tools spell would remain
> untouched. If no one has any thoughts on this I'll put it in my queue
> of 'Source Mage Things ToDo' and get to it when I get to it.
>
> - David Brown

IIRC, the xen-kernels spell doesn't work with xen 3.0+ It never has.
Jeremy made an attempt to work on it once, but I don't recall what came
to fruition out of that. Unfortunately, separating the build process
isn't exactly trivial, as xen 3.0+ also builds an initrd.

I'm really tired and grouchy right now, so my answers are short. But if
you think you can do it go for it :) just be prepared for plenty of
headaches.

David