sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] english question

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] english question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:14:14 -0500

On Oct 18, Mathieu L. [lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to write an official document in proper english and one of my
> coworkers always uses the expression "in order that" even in that
> document. I've been told at school that the only correct one is "in
> order to", and some ppl on #sourcemage confirmed that, but some other
> pointed to some text where "in order that" was used. I haven't found
> anything on the net to confirm or contradict that.
>
> So, I'd like the opinion of good english speakers here please. :)

They are both valid usage but both idioms. For a reference see:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/order

'in order
1. with the particular aim or purpose.
"Your bags will be searched in order that security can be maintained. He
came home early in order to make some phone calls."'

Also http://www.answers.com/topic/in-order

(I confirmed this in an actual dictionary and with an actual grammar nazi
but I can't email you those.)