sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] english question

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] english question
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:48:39 +0200

I have to write an official document in proper english and one of my
coworkers always uses the expression "in order that" even in that
document. I've been told at school that the only correct one is "in
order to", and some ppl on #sourcemage confirmed that, but some other
pointed to some text where "in order that" was used. I haven't found
anything on the net to confirm or contradict that.

So, I'd like the opinion of good english speakers here please. :)

Of course I am neither good english speaker nor writer. :-)
I just ask Dr. Google:
"in order that" is found 9 330 000 times
"in order to" is found 329 000 000 times

so "in order to" is better. :-)

--
Ladislav Hagara