sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:21:36 -0500

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:59:22 +0200
Lubomir Blaha <tritol AT trilogic.cz> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I bought new hardware (AMD64X2) and I want migrate my existing SMGL
> box (AthlonXP) to 64bit. Is it possible? I don't wanna install
> everything again from x86_64 iso. Sometimes I need to run 32b apps
> (binary games) so I need "Multilib way". I can't find any howto or
> similar text.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion
>
> Lubomir

If you are still interested, please try:

http://morfic.homelinux.org:8080/smgl-x86_64-silver-thistel.iso

It sports an amd64 livecd, has the required tarball and tools included
to install said tarball.
after partitioning and formatting the created partitions a script
('enter_camelot') if used should ease installation on the disk.
bootloader, /etc/fstab and passwd have to be manually installed/updated.
the CD is meant to aid in installation until the final product of an
amd64/x86_64 installer CD is finalized.

your goal was to convert the system, which *SHOULD* be possible too,
but is not for the faint of heart. It would save you more time to
actually reinstall, just saving all config dirs (/etc/ and /home/.*) and
data (/home)

If you can not install smgl64 at this
time, download it anyway, it makes a fine rescue CD ;)

hope this helps

Daniel