sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: johnc AT neto.com
  • To: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL migration form 32b to 64b
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:38:18 -0500

On Saturday 09 September 2006 13:22, you wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:18:32 -0500
> johnc AT neto.com wrote:
>

> sorry this email slipped past me.
>
> I should have replied differently before.
>
> yes, you could do the
> partition switcharoo "Towers of Hanoi" style
>
> you could install from this for now:
>
> http://www.applia.fr/contents/knoppix64.html
>
> or a minimal livecd of any 64bit distro that gives you a shell that has
> tar/bunzip2/chroot/mount/fs tools
>
> hopefully there is a 64bit CD of our own creation that you can use for
> this sometime soon.

Daniel, it's Ok. I finally got it figured out.
I installed the basic system from:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/mirror/smgl-x86_64.tar.bz2

I then installed pppd for internet access.
I had a 64bit LinuxFromScratch system I built some time ago, so I used the
kernel from LFS and chroot'ed into the the basic system. When this worked I
made the basic system bootable.

Now I am in the process of slowly building a pure 64bit system, slowly
because
I am on the end of a dial-up to the internet out in the country where I
live(28.8 kbs).

I have had one small problem. I built my kernel with ppp(8250 serial driver)
as a module. When I tried to install the 8250 driver, it installed but did
not create the /dev/ttyS0 device. I built the driver in the kernel and it
works OK. Do either of you know of module problems with 64bit?

Thanks to both for your help. I will plod on and keep SM-Discuss informed to
maybe help anyone else with 64bit.

John