sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Component Lead Nominations: Tome Lead

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Matthew Clark <MatthewClark AT InLesserTerms.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Component Lead Nominations: Tome Lead
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:11:10 -0500

Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 21:08, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
>> On Sep 20, Andrew Stitt [afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com] wrote:
> [ wise words here]
>
> I find what's been said most reasonable. As it was me who nominated Matthew
> without remembering that he would need to be a Lead Developer, and also
> without really knowing for sure if he'd agree, I'd like to suggest we at
> least give him time to respond something before throwing yet another
> nomination at him. :) Perhaps he can hint us about what he's ready to sign
> into.

I've read everything everyone's said on this subject, and I'm surprised at how
involved this discussion has become; my intention with my questions earlier in
this discussion were merely to see what people would say as far as finding a
new
lead when no nominations were made for someone other than Jason. I knew I
wasn't eligible for the role, but aside from that, I knew I wasn't yet
well-known enough for others to be comfortable with me being in such a role.
was only curious for now, even though my verbiage may have implied a different
motivation.

On another note: even though I've been using SMGL for two or three years, I've
only been actively participating in development since the beginning of this
year. But while working to maintain the net section and meddling in the Wiki
during in the past several months, I've learned a commensurate amount about
SMGL, and so much so that I also realize that there's a lot I don't know. But
knowing what one doesn't know is a good thing, because at least then he has a
pretty good idea of what he should learn. But is it at that point a person
may
become a leader? Or should he wait (or be asked to wait) until he's overcome
what is unknown to him?

At any rate, I'll get right to the point: I am not pushing for a lead role.
However, I am dedicated to this project because I believe we have the BEST
distribution available, and since I've not paid a dime for any of the
software I
have on all seven of my PCs, then I'll contribute in any way I can. And if
enough people want to test my leadership (and I think I've got what it takes),
then I'm for it -- whether now or later, I'm in no rush.

I'm all for what's best for our community, and I know I cannot decide that --
only the members of our community, my peers, and the senior developers. I may
not have the deep knowledge of some of our senior guys, but I think it's at
that
Lead Role level that leadership skills are more important that sheer knowledge
alone. I think I can handle it and continue to learn at the same time.

Having said all of that, I'm still not pushing for a lead role. It's your
call,
and I'd be eager to take a little extra responsibility and show the community
what more I can do.

Oh, and by the way, this isn't a "why-I-think-I'm-qualified" speech -- I can
deliver that at another time if/when necessary (which, of course, depends on
whether I'll ever meet eligibility).

- - Matt (MaffooClock)