sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] multiple depends in one line

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] multiple depends in one line
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:42:59 +0300

On Friday 18 August 2006 10:30, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
> What kind of behavior do you want, that a single prompt supports both, or
> two separate ones?
>
> Is it single-pole double-throw or double-pole double-throw?

This figure of speech I'm afraid I don't understand. What I'd like to see is
the possibility to optionally depend on several spells with a single prompt,
but I take it you already know this much. I'm probably missing the point of
your question, could you please clarify?

> As with any misfeature, it's good to make sure it's really operating
> desirably.
>
> Personally, I see little reason to support this feature.

I do see use for it (as do apparently some others who've replied to this
thread). One example is what I mentioned in an earlier posting. Basically
every spell that now has the clumsy 'config_query VAR; if [[ $VAR == y ]];
then depends x; depends, y; depends z; fi' procedure would benefit.

My knowledge about Sorcery's internals is vague and I might be
over-simplifying, but I'm guessing that this accidental feature wouldn't
require too much work to become actually usable.

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]