sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:58:46 -0500

On Aug 01, Andrew Stitt [afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com] wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 06:20:46PM +0200, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 02:13:40PM +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:
> > > >

> > > $ cat .git/remotes/origin

> > This is the problem. Use ssh://scm... and it'll work. Not sure what's
> > the cause though.

Good catch, Arwed, I glossed over that and was rather confused.

> http doesn't do directory listings automatically, someone has to run
> git update-server-info to update the listings. If we want to support
> http as a transport mechanism we'll need to do this everytime we add a
> branch.

Every time we do a commit, actually, to keep the heads current. There's a
default update hook that does this, I just haven't enabled it because I
need to research the consequences a bit more first. Having
update-server-info and repack run regularly is part of that list I posted
last week, as is getting a git-daemon up for git:// support. I didn't
realize people were actually using http:// for regular work or I'd have
prioritized that better. For now I'm still going to defer it to work on
the new repo, I'll have it working there when it comes up.

> Its probably better to use git:// and ssh:// as they're better suited for
> this type of thing.

This is true, though I want to keep the http support there for people that
want to use it and don't want to install git. But I also want to primarily
run that from ibiblio.