sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:03:16 +0200

Le vendredi 28 juillet 2006 à 19:14 +0200, Andraž "ruskie" Levstik a
écrit :
> Jeremy Blosser wrote :
>
> > > In git there is only one directory and I have to use "git diff" and get
> > > its a/... b/....
> > > Why a/... and b/... and not test/... and stable-rc/...?
> >
> > There's nothing stopping you from keeping a directory on disk for each
> > branch you want to work with. Just clone the repository multiple times
> > and
> > keep each clone on a different branch. You have to do cherry-picks
> > between
> > local branches of the same clone, but that shouldn't even be a noticeable
> > distinction at the local clone level.
> >
> > Note that if you do this, you will want to use a more specific pull syntax
> > to keep those other clones updated. git-pull origin devel:devel, etc.
> >
> I recommend you look at my Cogito_Guide on the wiki. I also don't like
> this multihead stuff:
>
> Here's how I like to work:
>
> $ cg clone git+ssh://upstreampath#branchname mylocalclone-branch
>
> That's all I can then use the same commands as above to work on it... It
> does need to have the email and commiter set properly again though.
>
> That way I have one dir/branch and can use plain unix commands. The
> setup I like is how the xmms2 ppl have git setup(their site is offline
> atm). But they have a diff tree for each branch.

That's a possibility but I would like to try first the multihead stuff,
in order, for instance, to take advantage of cg-diff command between
arbitrary heads.

However I don't manage to make the master head pointing on any other
branch than origin. I added the other branches manually with
cg-branch-add. Here is the state of my repository :

[10:51:18]vlaaad@Frodon ~/smgl/cggrimoire $ cg-status -g
Heads:
R devel 866d65b55f3d74bdc3b92603e481c6ff1ee1bdac
>master 51cf33edaeaa84be33d3c2cc5ccf95a564375e79
R origin 51cf33edaeaa84be33d3c2cc5ccf95a564375e79
R stable 1e9a83ea5a7d825f6f86816e549a2c57afae339d
R stable-rc fd0f298f197525d81fb3d5bcc9a1569c835d0372
temp 81d8d4cd83eb664886182a9ea02e9e6376ef0e2f

[10:51:21]vlaaad@Frodon ~/smgl/cggrimoire $ cg-branch-ls
devel git+ssh://fbridault AT scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git#devel
origin git+ssh://fbridault AT scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git
stable git
+ssh://fbridault AT scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git#stable-0.4
stable-rc git
+ssh://fbridault AT scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git#stable-rc-0.5

I can cg-fetch all the branches and then use cg-diff between the heads.
However I didn't find any way to switch on a branch as I can do with
git. cg-switch tell me that I can't switch on a remote branch :

cg-switch stable
cg-switch: refusing to switch to a remote branch - see README for
lengthy explanation; use cg-seek to just quickly inspect it

cg-seek indeed allow me to inspect the stable repository, but obviously
I can't edit anything. I so thought I should mirror the remote branches
locally or something liek that but I don't find how in the README and in
the few tutorials I found on the web.

Do the few people (any other than Ruskie ?? ;-) ) using cogito could
help me ? cogito is really great for me, multi-branches stuff is the
only thing that prevents me to switch.
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be