sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire bug ownership (help needed fixing known bugs) and release engineering integrators (help needed keeping up with guru fixes)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable grimoire bug ownership (help needed fixing known bugs) and release engineering integrators (help needed keeping up with guru fixes)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:39:45 +0200

Le jeudi 20 juillet 2006 à 10:06 -0700, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net a
écrit :
> I compiled a list of bugs in stable grimoire that are owned
> by certain people/maintainers/sections (last week or so):
>
> 124 grimoire/sm-grimoire-bugs/smgl
> 90 unet/audio
> 81 sergey/collab/http/php-pear
> 73 vydra/crypto
> 63 robin/gnome
> 61 doc
> 50 x11
> 46 devel
> 45 MatthewClark/net
> 41 libs
> 40 graphics/disk
> 38 utils
> 26 video
> 26 dkowis/mail
> 25 perl-cpan
> 23 java
> 22 display
> 19 windowmanagers
> 19 editors
> 16 seth
> 16 ftp
> 15 mobile
> 14 database
> 14 chat
> 13 science
> 13 php-pear
> 13 kernels
> 13 archive
> 12 shell-term-fm
> 7 cluster
> 6 printer
> 6 ham
> 5 v.merkatz
> 3 kde
> 3 jblosser-smgl
> 3 i18n
> 2 xfce
> 2 news
> 2 eric
> 1 z-rejected
> 1 sm-sorcery-bugs
> 1 cauldron
>
> We have a lot of known bugs in stable grimoire just laying around. Some
> might already be fixed in branch, but certain sections could probably
> use some special help. The three I'm thinking of are:
>
> audio
> http
> crypto.
>
> Furthermore, if anybody wants to volunteer to help fix known bugs (you
> don't even have to find them!), please chime in! I'm mostly concerned
> about "low hanging fruit" here. If there's a bug you can't figure out,
> don't worry about it, that's my job!
>
> Also, we need people who may not be the best "coders" to help out with
> release engineering. The way it works is that you don't even have to
> code, you just use git to integrate things (we'll start with stable-rc
> access for most people and you may move up to stable access once you've
> shown to be consistent). If you think you can cherry-pick fixes well
> and are pretty good with SCMs, feel free to talk to me about it. We
> recognize that not all people can "script" well, but some people are
> inclined to be able to pay attention to detail anyways while being
> reliable. If you think this is something you can do, let me know and
> I'll explain in private more detail about how this process works.

> [...]

A lot of bugs are already fixed in my sections, but this happened to
late to be integrated into 0.4 iirc. I still wait for authorization to
integrate them, but I suppose there are a lot of bugs in this case.
Should these bugs be integrated in stable-rc(0.5) and stable (0.4) ?

Apart from the bugs fixed in test, almost all the others are not fixed
because they are linked to x86_64 arch. I don't have such an
architecture and therefore I think I can't fix them. I was wondering, is
this possible with Xen or whatever to have such a virtual machine ?
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be