sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] call for assistance fixing easy-to-fix problems in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] call for assistance fixing easy-to-fix problems in spells
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:58:47 -0700

Hi smgl'ers-who-aren't-developers-yet,

I have a perfect opportunity for those who don't know so much about
sorcery internals to contribute fixes!

Prometheus is our automated testing suite that finds compile errors when
casting spells. Well one of the most common errors is a missing
dependency. I've run prometheus against stable-rc and have found a
whole slew of missing dependencies. These look similar most of the
time:

* compile errors with missing headers (missing the entire spell -- do
worry about these)

* compile breaks during ./configure stage saying something's missing

* compile errors with undefined references (missing an optional
subdependency -- don't worry about those if you don't know about
these yet since stable sorcery doesn't support those yet)

The prometheus bugs that probably closely match the first two bullets
are here:

http://bugs.sourcemage.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=cast+failure+swoolley-0-4&bug_status=NEW&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=missing

If we could have a volunteer specifically take these spells on by
registering a bugzilla account, assigning them to yourself and editing
them in perforce/git/svn whatever, I would much appreciate it. These
are quick fixes and I can walk anybody through the first few fixes to
get you on the road to more than sorcery -- guruness.

Seth